Thursday, June 21, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Bars

This will be a quickie post, like the recipe to follow. After struggling with some technical i-difficulties (i as in iPhone, as in my camera; what does the i stand for anyway?!?), I'm ready to get this post posted already. Thanks go to my in-house technology guru/expert who is always there for me, no matter how much I moan about unintuitive technology.

Just 4 main ingredients:


Mixed together in a bowl (after first melting the coconut oil):


"Whip it good":


And poured into a mold of some sort:


The last step is putting it into the freezer to set for a couple of hours. And, voila, homemade chocolate bars!

In these photos, I was making half the recipe below which produced six
2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares (and about 1/4" thick). I used a dessert pan I happen to have. I've also made the full recipe and used a regular loaf pan to make one large bar.


Homemade Chocolate Bars
(from bittersweetblog.com)

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted*
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup agave
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt


Melt the coconut oil, then whisk  together all of the ingredients until completely smooth (the cocoa powder will clump, just keep whisking and stirring). Pour into a lightly greased mold (a loaf pan works fine) and put it into the freezer to set (at least 2 hours).

It's best to store the bars in the refrigerator or freezer.

* I use unrefined, extra virgin, unprocessed coconut oil.

3 comments:

Coconut Oil Fan said...

Hi Kristen,
I made this the other day but used dark chocolate cocoa powder. It tasted really good...like a mounds bar with a creamy, smooth texture. The only thing I noticed is that the mixture looked gritty even after mixing for awhile...but in your picture, the mixture looks smooth. I don't know if it's supposed to look that way, or if it's because I used dark chocolate or maybe I had my cocoa powder a bit too long. Have you ever used dark chocolate cocoa powder? And does your mixture look smooth in real life?

Kristen said...

I have not used dark choc cocoa powder, but that sounds really good. I wouldn't think that would affect the texture. The texture should be smooth, but I'll pay strict attention next time I make it so I can let you know for sure. Thanks for the comment.

Kristen said...

Coconut Oil Fan,
I just made the choc bar again, and the mixture was very smooth. I did sift the cocoa powder to help get out the lumps, but I doubt that's it. It must be the cocoa powder you used. Let me know if/when you try it again.